The popularity of mobile gaming has been on the rise in recent years, and it has become an increasingly significant part of the global gaming industry. This is especially true in the Philippines, where mobile gaming has taken the country by storm. In this article, we will explore why mobile gaming is so prominent in the Philippines, what impact it is having on the gaming industry, and what the future of mobile gaming in the Philippines looks like.
Statistics on Mobile Gaming in the Philippines
According to Statista, the Philippines is expected to generate around $1.30 billion in 2023 through in-game mobile purchases. By 2027, Filipino mobile gamers are projected to reach 37 million users.
Owning a smartphone is now less of a social status and more of a daily necessity. Nearly everyone has one at this point and in equal parts, internet access has also been much easier to find. This means that all these profit margins and population numbers for Philippine mobile gaming are only expected to go up further.
Gaming is already such an entertaining hobby. Making it budget-friendly, accessible, and portable only improves its chances of reaching a bigger player base from any age group.
Why is Mobile Gaming So Popular in the Philippines?
- Mobile gaming is affordable. Smartphones have become increasingly affordable in recent years, making them accessible to a wider range of consumers. This has allowed more Filipinos to experience the world of mobile gaming, which has traditionally been dominated by consoles and PCs.
- Mobile gaming is convenient. With mobile gaming, players can enjoy their favorite games anywhere, at any time, without the need for a console or a computer. This makes mobile gaming an ideal choice for Filipinos who are always on the go or for those who have limited space in their homes.
- Mobile gaming is trending. With social media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram, players can easily connect with friends and share their gaming experiences. This has led to an increase in the number of players and has made mobile gaming a more social and interactive experience. Whether you are a content creator or a media consumer, there are so many ways to increase the social aspect of gaming.
Impact on the Gaming Industry in the Philippines
The popularity of mobile gaming in the Philippines has created new opportunities for game developers and publishers, who can now reach a wider audience with their games. There are over 400 local game publishers in Google Play, the official app store of Android phones — which is what most Filipinos use. This has led to an increase in investment in the industry and has created new jobs for Filipinos in the gaming sector.
With the growth of the mobile gaming industry, the Philippines has become an attractive destination for international gaming companies, who are now setting up operations in the country to take advantage of the growing market. An example of which is Ubisoft having its own headquarters in Santa Rosa.
The Future of Mobile Gaming in the Philippines
The future of mobile gaming in the Philippines looks bright. As the number of Filipinos with access to smartphones and the internet continues to grow, the demand for mobile gaming is expected to increase.
Moreover, the increasing popularity of mobile gaming is also expected to lead to new innovations in the industry. With the advancements in technology, mobile gaming is expected to become even more immersive and interactive, which will attract even more players.
Mobile games started as simplistic experiences such as Temple Run, Candy Crush, Fruit Ninja, and Angry Birds. I can imagine a future wherein the gap between the quality of mobile games and console/PC releases will be much smaller than it already is now. Major gaming IPs like League of Legends, Call of Duty, Assassin’s Creed, and Genshin Impact are all dipping their toes in the mobile market with soaring success.
With its affordability, convenience, and social appeal, mobile gaming has attracted a large number of players, and this trend is expected to continue in the future. For some, gaming was an intimidating hobby considering the budget that was required to purchase the hardware. But now, video games are practically in the palm of our hands.
- Gaming Industry in the Philippines: Challenges & Opportunities
- What is Filipino Gaming Culture?
- Gaming in the Philippines: From Pastime to Mainstream Entertainment
- 5 Mistakes in Video Game Marketing (And How to Avoid them)
- Supply and Demand in Gaming Tech: PS5 vs Scalpers
M2.0 is a communications agency and Public Relations firm in the Philippines that specializes in business, technology, and lifestyle communication.